The burden associated with depression is large and increasing
- Ratnasingham S et al. Opening Eyes, Opening Minds: The Ontario Burden of Mental Illness and Addictions Report. Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences and Public Health Ontario, 2012
- Wittchen HU et al. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2011;21:655-79.
Depression is the most burdensome disorder of all brain diseases in the EU
The DALY is a health gap measure for the burden of disease, capturing both years of life lost due to premature mortality and years of life lost due to living with a disability. Overall, the burden of disease in mental…
Depression has detrimental effects on overall health
Adapted from Moussavi S et al. Lancet. 2007;370:851-8.
Depression is associated with significant personal and societal consequences
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders. 5th ed. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2013
- Krol M, et al. Pharmacoeconomics. 2011;29(7):601–19
- Marcus M, et al. 2012.http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/depression/who_paper_depression_wfmh_2012.pdf?ua=1 Accessed April 16, 2014.
The personal burden of MDD can be significant and wide-ranging
- Kessler RC. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2012;35(1):1-14.
MDD has significant costs to society
This slide illustrates the global social burden of MDD. The data are based on a systematic review of epidemiological data by Ferrari et al 2013. For this data were pooled using a Bayesian meta-regression. These weights were used to…
MDD has significant costs to society: EU
This slides illustrates European burden of MDD with a focus on costs inferred due to impact on work.
Note that:Absenteeism = lost days of work. Presenteeism = low performance while at work, which is transformed into lost day equivalents.…
Depression is associated with significant economic costs
- Collins PY et al. Nature. 2011;475:27-30
- Sobocki P et al. J Ment Health Policy Econ. 2006;9:87-98
- Stewart WF et al. JAMA. 2003; 289:3135-44;
- World Health Organization. Available at: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GBD_report_2004update_part4.pdf?ua = 1. Accessed June 2016